Scialpinismo e Freeride in KaunertalNovembre 26, 2020
Haute Route Monte Bianco- Monte RosaDicembre 14, 2020
Climbing the highest volcano in Europe (3330 m) on skis is an unforgettable experience. Starting from the hallucinating landscape of the lava fields up to the summit crater , we ski all time with an aerial view of the Tyrrhenian Sea and the sicilian countryside. Snow quality is often excellent, hard in the morning and soft corn in the afternoon. The traverse does not present major technical difficulties (except orienteering); it is suitable for ski mountaineers with good experience and fair physical fitness,
The first day excursion to Pizzi Deneri is the ideal preparation for the subsequent challenge of the traverese; moreover the summit of the Deneri is an exceptional view point over the entire Bove valley and the summit craters of Etna. Stopping at the Citelli hut is a unique pleasure, the hut is small and basic, but placed next to a splendid birch forest and with a spectacular view of the sea.
Unlike most programmes proposed, here we suggest one extra day (for total 3 net days on the mountain), as a reserve in case of bad wheather or, if not utilized as such, for a second and different crossing of the volcano.
The amazing Bove valley + west side traverse is less known and rarely performed; the descent on the west slopes from the summit down to the last tongues of snow seems to never end…
This is a truly unique adventure, the closest snow to Africa, something every ski mountaineer should try at least once in the lifetime.
- Tourist visit of Catania city and/or visit to the local Vulcanology Institute
- Extension of one or more days for mountain biking: half day or full day tour with ascent and descent, optional ascent by shuttle van; bikes for rent on site.
cover photo : Sense Sicily
photo gallery: images by Guide Etna, Etna Sci, Husqvarna, Club Avalco
Arrival at the airport of Catania and transfer by minivan to Zafferana Etnea (about 1 hour and a half).
Transfer by minivan to the Citelli hut (1800 m). Ascent to Pizzi Deneri (2847 m), then a beautiful descent along one of the wide couloirs (30 ° -35 °) on the east side. Return to Zafferana.
Short transfer by road to the Sapienza Refuge 1920 m, where we take the cable lift reaching 2500 elevation. From here we skin up to the crater at the summit of the volcano, then we traverse on the north-estern slopes down to Piano Provenzana 1810 m.
Return by minivan to Zafferana.
Reserve day for the summit in case of bad wheather, or alternative traverse of the Etna volcano, from Citelli refuge – valle del Bove – Punta Santa Lucia, and long descent on the wild western slopes to Monte Scavo hut. Return by minivan to Zafferana.
Transfer by minivan to the airport and boarding on the return flight.
Depending upon the time of the flight, it would be possible to visit the town of Catania or the Institute of Vulcanology (optional).
Each programme will be adjusted according to the conditions of the mountain and to the team’s requirements. The definite choice of an itinerary will be taken on site also considering ther appropriate safety criteria.
Services & Notes
Accomodation: hotel or guesthouse
Local transfers: car or minivan
Services included: accomodation in hotel or guesthouse, half board (breakfast and dinner included); planning of the itineraries and maps; rental of car or minivan, driver available for transfer bacj to the hotel/guesthouse after the traverse.
Optional services: flights; insurance; assistance of a Lynx Trails tour leader or mountain guide; variations or extenstions to the programme.
Special notes: the access to the crater at the summit may be forbidden by the local authorities in case of risk of eruptions or lava spills.
The whole itinerary takes place in the Etna Regional Park, a protected area having the objectives to preserve the exceptional geological peculiarities of the mountain as well as the endemic flora and fauna.
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for detailed definitions and extra information on the above.
FITNESS 2 TECHNICAL 2 ADVENTURE 2
for the Bove valley traverse: FITNESS 3 TECHNICAL 2 ADVENTURE 3
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for the explanation of the above scoring
Tour period and dates
The period (month of the year) given for the tour is indicatively the most recommended for optimun conditions for the planned activities. Different periods are possible.
If the tour is included in the Scheduled Tours list (yearly planner), the departure date is the one given in the planner; otherwise it will be decided according to the requests we have received. In any case we suggest to contact us for more precise information. In customized tours, departure date and duration are established according to customer’s request.
By means of the scores given in the tour decsription sheet we wish to provide an indicative assessment of the challenges to be expected, divided in the following three categories:
- Grade 1: adult performing a minimum sport activity (4-8 hours/week), or teenager in medium fitness conditions
- Grade 2: adult performing sport activity (8-16 hours/week) or teenager in good fitness conditions
- Grade 3: adult performing regular sport activity (16-20 hours/week) or teenager in very good fitness conditions
- Grade 4: adult only, regularly performing sport activity and intense training (more than 20 hours/week)
- Grade1: no prior experience in the activity is required, just a natural predisposition
- Grade 2: prior experience in the activity as beginner to medium level
- Grade 3: prior experience in the activity at medium to high level, with regular practice since min. 3-5 years
- Grade 4: excellent technical skills with long experience in the activity (more than 5 years)
- Grade 1: no prior experience in adventure travel id required, just a positive attitude to adapt
- Grade 2: prior, yet limited, experience in adventure travel, with a strong attitude to adapt and determination
- Grade 3: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding
- Grade 4: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding, strong determination to overcome unforeseen events
The type of accomodation as planned is indicated in the tour sheet (hotel, lodge, tents, etc..).
The means of local transfers are indicated as planned (flight, bus, 4WD vehicle, ferry, etc.). Some changes are possible in relation to the actual availability on site and/or wheather conditions and road access.
Service included and Prices
We do not have a price list. Quotes are sent on request only. Details of services included, excluded, or optionally available, will be specified in the quote and confirmed at the time of booking. Prices depend on the number of participants and on any specific requirements by the group; they will be definitely set at the time of booking and after definiton of all tour details and confirmation of dates.
Special prices may be granted for pre-established groups, clubs and associations, guides with own clients, active athletes, tour operators and travel agents, journalists, physicians, rescue operators, schools, staff of organization running an humanitarian or research project.