Selvaggio Blu (Wild Blue) trek, Sardinia east coastJune 14, 2021
Ski Touring in 4 valleys: Varaita, Maira, Grana, SturaJune 27, 2021
Month of the year: January – May
Duration: 8 days
Departure: see Scheduled Tours or contact us
Tour code: LT21012
Destination area: Adamello-Cevedale, Italy
Activities: Ski touring/ Ski mountaineering
The Adamello-Cevedale- Ortles mountain massif is located in the Central Alps of Italy, more precisely in the Southern Rhaetian range (Alpi Retiche meridionali). It hosts among the largest glaciers laying entirely in the italian territory; the highest peaks are at 3500 – 3900 m elevation asl. Most of its territory lays witihin the Stelvio National Park, a protected area of unique beauty.
Acces points are on west side from valle Camonica, the valley famous for its ancient rock carvings (dating back to mesolithic age) which are UNESCO heritage, on north side from Martello valley (South Tyrol) and on east side from Brenta valley.
The area offers exceptional opportunities of beatiful ski-mountaineering adventures, either single day tours or multi-days hut-to-hut tours (haute route).
We propose here two programmes, one most suitable to winter season, and one to spring season including multi-days tours.
Each programme may vary according to the mountain conditions and to the team’s technical level and wishes. As usual, we organize fully customized tours for pre-established parties.
- (winter only): one or more days of freeride in the ski resort of Tonale pass, Peio, Solda, Madonna di Campiglio,
- one or more days of steep skiing, mostly dedicated to the search of the steeper slopes and couloirs, for highly skilled skiers only;
- (spring only): 2-days extensions for the ascent and descent of Mount Ortles 3905 m, the highest peak of the massif (for advanced ski-mountaineers), or Presanella 3558 m. or Cima di Piazzi 3439 m.
OTHERS SKI TOURING PROGRAMMES IN THE NEARBY REGIONS
- Solda valley and Ortles – Stelvio pass
- upper Valtellina (Bormio and Santa Caterina di Valfurva mountain resorts)
- Peio valley on the southern side of the Cevedale massif
- Rendena valley (Madonna di Campiglio mountain resort) and Brenta Dolomites
-> CONTACT US FOR A FULLY CUSTOMIZED TOUR OR ANY SPECIAL PROJECT
WINTER PROGRAMMME (january-march)
Arrival at the upper Camonica valley, accomodation in Ponte di Legno or Tonale pass.
Ski freeride from the lifts of Tonale pass, off-piste along glaciers and couloirs, depending upon the technical level of the group. Single descents upto 1200 m vertical drop, possibilities to ski 4000 – 5000 m vertical in a full day.
Daily ski tour of 1200-1500 m vertical, in the valleys around Ponte di Legno, Tonale pass, and Peio. Among the many possibilities: Pisgana or Pisganino glacier traverse (featuring a short ascent of 500-700 m and a great descent of 1500 mor more), Cima Savoretta 3053 m. cima Presena 3069 m, Passo Cercen 2960 m.
A complete two-days ski-mountaineering route: on first day using the lift to Presena pass 2950 m, and overnigh at Mandrone hut 2450 m; on second day summiting Monte Adamello 3539 m or Monte Mandrone 3283 m, then epic descent as far down as Ponte di Legno (1500 to 2200 m vertical loss, depending on snow cover limit).
Transfer to the airport or other destination for your retrun trip.
Note.: in early season (january-february) the two-days tour might be replaced by single day tours in Peio valley, at lower altitude (summits at 2500-2900 m).
SPRING PROGRAMME (march – may)
Arrival at Martello valley (South Tyrol). (Nearest airports are Innsbruck and Venice ).
Accomodation in hotel or guesthouse.
Ski tour to Cima Marmotta 3300 m or other nearby peaks, with return to valley.
Traverse to the valley de la Mare: summit of Monte Cevedale 3769, descent to Larcher Hut 2608 m and overnight.
Summit of Palon della Mare 3705 m, descent to the very comfortable Pizzini Hut 2706 m and overnight.
Traverese of Monte Pasquale with return to the Pizzini Hut.
A challenging day: traverse to the V Alpini hut 2877 m in Zebru valley. Overnight at the hut.
Ascent to Mt Zebru 3740 m and long descent into the Valfurva side. Overnight in hotel in Bormio.
Optional bathing in thermal hot pools.
Transfer to the airport or other destination for your retrun trip
ALTERNATIVE (higher difficulty):
Ascent and descent (steep) of Grand Zebru 3851 m. Overnight at Branca hut 2487 m
Ascent to one of the summits of the upper Forni glacier (Monte Vioz 3645 m, Punta S.Matteo 3678 m, Pizzo Tresero 3602 m), then descent to Gavia pass 2620 m or Peio valley 1700 m, depending upon the snow conditions and road access.
The programme may change in relation to the conditions of the mountain and to the team’s requirements. The definite choice of an itinerary will be taken on site considering the safety criteria as appropriate.
Services & Notes
Accomodation: hotel or guesthouse, mountain hut for 2-days itinerary or haute route
Local transfers: car or minivan
Services included: all accomodation in hotel, guesthouse and mountain huts; all breakfasts and dinners; planning of the itineraries and maps; local transfers by car or minivan.
Optional services: flights; insurance; airport transfers; assistance of a Lynx Trails tour leader and/or IFMGA mountain guide; variations or extentions to the programme.
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for detailed definitions and extra information on the above.
FITNESS 2-3 TECHNICAL 2-3 ADVENTURE 2
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for the explanation of the above scoring
Tour period and dates
The period (month of the year) given for the tour is indicatively the most recommended for optimun conditions for the planned activities. Different periods are possible.
If the tour is included in the Scheduled Tours list (yearly planner), the departure date is the one given in the planner; otherwise it will be decided according to the requests we have received. In any case we suggest to contact us for more precise information. In customized tours, departure date and duration are established according to customer’s request.
By means of the scores given in the tour decsription sheet we wish to provide an indicative assessment of the challenges to be expected, divided in the following three categories:
- Grade 1: adult performing a minimum sport activity (4-8 hours/week), or teenager in medium fitness conditions
- Grade 2: adult performing sport activity (8-16 hours/week) or teenager in good fitness conditions
- Grade 3: adult performing regular sport activity (16-20 hours/week) or teenager in very good fitness conditions
- Grade 4: adult only, regularly performing sport activity and intense training (more than 20 hours/week)
- Grade1: no prior experience in the activity is required, just a natural predisposition
- Grade 2: prior experience in the activity as beginner to medium level
- Grade 3: prior experience in the activity at medium to high level, with regular practice since min. 3-5 years
- Grade 4: excellent technical skills with long experience in the activity (more than 5 years)
- Grade 1: no prior experience in adventure travel id required, just a positive attitude to adapt
- Grade 2: prior, yet limited, experience in adventure travel, with a strong attitude to adapt and determination
- Grade 3: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding
- Grade 4: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding, strong determination to overcome unforeseen events
The type of accomodation as planned is indicated in the tour sheet (hotel, lodge, tents, etc..).
The means of local transfers are indicated as planned (flight, bus, 4WD vehicle, ferry, etc.). Some changes are possible in relation to the actual availability on site and/or wheather conditions and road access.
Service included and Prices
We do not have a price list. Quotes are sent on request only. Details of services included, excluded, or optionally available, will be specified in the quote and confirmed at the time of booking. Prices depend on the number of participants and on any specific requirements by the group; they will be definitely set at the time of booking and after definiton of all tour details and confirmation of dates.
Special prices may be granted for pre-established groups, clubs and associations, guides with own clients, active athletes, tour operators and travel agents, journalists, physicians, rescue operators, schools, staff of organization running an humanitarian or research project.