Ski touring on Etna Volcano (summit and traverse), SicilyDecember 12, 2020
Ski Touring in Valle Aurina, Alto Adige (South Tyrol)December 15, 2020
This majestic ski-mountaineering raid is our suggested southern version of the famous Haute Route Chamonix-Zermatt. It actually starts in Courmayeur and ends in Gressoney or Alagna, a challenging 6 days journey up to altitudes exceeding 4000 m.
The itinerary develops mostly on the southern side of the Alps, in italian territory. Overnight stays are in mountain hut or in hotel at the villages in the valleys; breakfast and dinner are always included.
If compared with the Chamonix-Zermatt, this less known raid sees a very small number of skiers each year, and the huts are not crowded (and also less expensive) than on the swiss side. Of course the project is very serious, demanding a good technical skill and fitness. Glacier crossing and possible bad wheather require a sound experience in orienteering and route finding; we therefore recommend also to expert parties to consider the optional assistance of a qualified mountain guide who knows well the area.
Every day an escape route is foreseen in case of problems, and the overnight stay organization is flexible as to allow for any changes in the programme.
- 5-days haute route (instead of 6)
OTHERS SIMILAR SKI TOURING PROGRAMMES IN THE ALPS (Haute Route / multiday tour hut-to-hut)
- Haute Route Alpi Maritttime (southern Piedmont), 5 days
- Tour of Mont Blanc, 4-5 days
- Haute Route of Gran Paradiso (Aosta valley), 5 days
- Haute Route of Berner Oberland (central Switzerland), 4-5 days
- Haute Route of Meje (Savoie, France), 4-5 days
- Ossola Haute Route (northern Piedmont and Ticino), 4 days
- Haute Route of Bernina (Valtellina and Engadine, Italy/Switzerland)
- Cevedale traverse, 4 days
- Haute Route Dolomites, from passo Rolle to Cortina, 4-5 days
—> contact us for any other project you may be interested in !-
Arrival in the Aosta valley, via plane or car depending on the location of residence. For those arriving by plane, the nearest airports are Geneva 150 km, Milan 180 km, Turin 117 km. Accomodation in hotel, dinner and check of equipment and gear.
From Val Ferret in Courmayeur (southern side of Mont Blanc) we skin up to col Malatra
2925 m, then ski down to the Gran San Bernardo valley. Overnight in hotel in the small village of Etroubles.
Short road transfer by minivan to the Place Moulin dam 1900 m in Valpelline. Long and wild ascent to the secluded Aosta hut 2780 m.
Ascent to the summit of Tete de Valpelline 3798 m, and long descent on the swiss side till Furi 1860 m. Here we take the lifts as to reach the Testa Grigia hut 3480 m.
Long traverse on glacier and climb of Castor 4228 m, then ski down to the Q.Sella hut 3585 m.
Delicate glacier crossing around the Nose of Lyskamm, then ski down to the Mantova hut 3500 m.
Reserve day for bad wheather. From Mantova Hut is possible to ski down to Gressoney village 1700 m (partially using lifts if needed) with overnight in hotel.
Otherwise: traverse to Indren glacier, ski down the Malfatta couloir (steep), then down to the village of Alagna 1100 m. Night in hotel.
Transfer back to the airport for the return flights.
The programme may change substiantially in relation to the conditions of the mountain and to the team’s requirements. The definite choice of an itinerary will be taken on site considering the safety criteria as appropriate.
Services & Notes
Accomodation: mountain huts and hotels
Local transfers: car or minivan
Services included: all accomodation in hotels and mountain huts; planning of the itineraries and maps; local transfers by car or minivan.
Optional services: flights; insurance; assistance of a Lynx Trails tour leader or mountain guide; variations or extentions to the programme.
Special notes: this tour is reserved to ski-mountaineers having a sound experience of high altitude skiing and glacier crossing.
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for detailed definitions and extra information on the above.
FITNESS 3 TECHNICAL 3 ADVENTURE 3
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for the explanation of the above scoring
Tour period and dates
The period (month of the year) given for the tour is indicatively the most recommended for optimun conditions for the planned activities. Different periods are possible.
If the tour is included in the Scheduled Tours list (yearly planner), the departure date is the one given in the planner; otherwise it will be decided according to the requests we have received. In any case we suggest to contact us for more precise information. In customized tours, departure date and duration are established according to customer’s request.
By means of the scores given in the tour decsription sheet we wish to provide an indicative assessment of the challenges to be expected, divided in the following three categories:
- Grade 1: adult performing a minimum sport activity (4-8 hours/week), or teenager in medium fitness conditions
- Grade 2: adult performing sport activity (8-16 hours/week) or teenager in good fitness conditions
- Grade 3: adult performing regular sport activity (16-20 hours/week) or teenager in very good fitness conditions
- Grade 4: adult only, regularly performing sport activity and intense training (more than 20 hours/week)
- Grade1: no prior experience in the activity is required, just a natural predisposition
- Grade 2: prior experience in the activity as beginner to medium level
- Grade 3: prior experience in the activity at medium to high level, with regular practice since min. 3-5 years
- Grade 4: excellent technical skills with long experience in the activity (more than 5 years)
- Grade 1: no prior experience in adventure travel id required, just a positive attitude to adapt
- Grade 2: prior, yet limited, experience in adventure travel, with a strong attitude to adapt and determination
- Grade 3: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding
- Grade 4: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding, strong determination to overcome unforeseen events
The type of accomodation as planned is indicated in the tour sheet (hotel, lodge, tents, etc..).
The means of local transfers are indicated as planned (flight, bus, 4WD vehicle, ferry, etc.). Some changes are possible in relation to the actual availability on site and/or wheather conditions and road access.
Service included and Prices
We do not have a price list. Quotes are sent on request only. Details of services included, excluded, or optionally available, will be specified in the quote and confirmed at the time of booking. Prices depend on the number of participants and on any specific requirements by the group; they will be definitely set at the time of booking and after definiton of all tour details and confirmation of dates.
Special prices may be granted for pre-established groups, clubs and associations, guides with own clients, active athletes, tour operators and travel agents, journalists, physicians, rescue operators, schools, staff of organization running an humanitarian or research project.