Ski-mountaineering courses (3 levels)May 1, 2021
Ski Touring in the Adamello – Cevedale group, ItalyJune 21, 2021
gallery: (7) Arbatax Park, (10) Sardinia Experience, (12) Camping Gianna
SELVAGGIO BLU is the most famous trekking of Sardinia, and probably the most beautiful.
In 5 or 6 days you walk and climb along the fabulous coast of the gulf of Orosei, crossing holm oak forests, myrtle and juniper thickets, rocky plateaus, canyons, caves, vertical cliffs and secluded sand beaches. You find old shepherds shelters, old charcoal miners trails, and ancient nuraghes, all this to witness a long story of civilization in these rough highlands..
The itinerary is named “blu” due to the intense colour of the sea, and is “wild” indeed because of the nature and the fact that there are no roads nor inhabited villages along the way. The team has therefore to be self-sufficient for the whole trek.
After many years, we have decided to partner with a local staff for logistic support. Every evening, at a pre-defined location, fresh food and water are brought by boat by the staff, along with all the necessary equipment for the night (tent, sleeping bags, clothes change). Thanks to this organization, hikers carry just a small rucksack with a few personal items and drinks (there are no water sources along the trek).
The walk is rather challenging: in an average 6 hours daily effort, there are easy trail sections as well as climbing passages on rocks and rappels. The use of harness and ropes is required, and often the route finding is not obvious at all. This is why we offer the assistance of local qualified guides.
The best period is april to june and september-october. Spring is perfect for the gorgeous blossoming of the mediterranean flora, whereas autunm is great to enjoy swimming in warm sea waters. July and august are too hot for such a tour.
Selvaggio Blu is well suitable for hikers with a good fitness level and the basic skills to walk on equipped trail sections (via ferrata), climb grade 3 rock sections with rope belaying and rappelling. People suffering dizziness are not recommended to undertake this tour.
WHY JOINING US IN THIS TOUR ?
- We follow the original itinerary of the first explorers, still the most logical and scenic track; it was studied as to best connect the ancient paths of the miners and shepherds.
- We utilize the service of local qualified english-speaking guides who know the itinerary extremely well and also provide interesting information on the local culture, geology, flora, and fauna.
- We offer free of charge the rental of tent, sleeping pad, harness and helmet as well as airport transfers
- We utilize the best local services for the supply of fresh food and camping gear. Personalized food for dietary meals is available on request.
- We form small groups of max. 6 participants (of similar skills and fitness) per guide
- Whenever possible along the tour we offer short excursion on sea, by dinghy or kayak.
- We strictly observe the environmental rules by taking back all waste and leaving no trace of our visit.
- In case of need, any participant may be evacuated to nearby villages from any leg of the tour.
*** OPTIONAL VARIANTS OR EXTENSIONS ***
-> Logistic support only for independent teams (no guide assistance provided)
-> Light version of SELVAGGIO BLU: same duration and similar route of the original trek, but avoiding all technical sections.
-> 1 day extension (at the end of the tour): trekking of Su Gorropu, a spectacular canyon from the inland down to the sea, or Cala Gonone
-> 1 or more days of rock climbing in cala Goloritze and/or mountain biking in the area;
-> Upon request we offer any tourist extension to the northeastern coast of Sardinia, including short sailing cruises.
-> 1-2 days gastronomic extension to taste both sea and mountain specialities of the Ogliastra region.
We propose the original trek in six legs. Total vertical gain/loss is approximately 4500 m, for an overall walking distance of 40 km and an average of 6 hours of walking per day. Maximum altitude reached is 780 m asl.
Arrival at Cagliari airport. Transfer to the village of Santa Maria Navarrese, or Baunei, or Cala Gonone. Overnight in hotel or B&B nearby, dinner with the team and guides.
Drive to the Piggius meadows, beautifully suspended over the sea at approximately 700 m elevation. Overnight at a characteristic ovile (shepherd’s huit) and dinner provided by the farmer or at a local characteristic trattoria with authentic Ogliastra cuisine.
Today we walk mostly on descent mode, but some climbing sections have to be negotiated. We finally reach the nice beaches of Portu Pedrosu and Portu Cuau where we camp nearby.
We walk very close to the coast and reach Punta Salinas, an exceptional view point over the sea. By easy walk but rather complex route through dense vegetation, we descend to the fabulous sandy beach of Cala Goloritsè, surrounded by rocky towers which are well known to climbers. Camp nearby.
This is the most challenging leg of the tour, since it includes some rock climbing and a breathtaking vertical rappel of almost 50 m. We will reach the cala Muddaloru beach and camp at the Grotta del Fico (the Fig’s cave) if accessible and with calm sea, or nearby.
Another leg with a mix of walking and climbing, we pass several caves, ancient charcoal furnaces, and other ruins of the past human activitiy here. We finally get at cala Biriala, one of the best beaches of the gulf of Orosei, where we camp nearby.
A technical leg with several climbing ramps and rappels with fabulous sights over the see. We end up in Cala Sisine, another beautiful beach where we take a last swim prior to returning to Santa Maria Navarrese by minivan or by boat. Overnight in hotel or B&B, farewell dinner with the group.
Transfer to the airport for the return flight.
The programme may change in relation to wheather, sea and roads conditions, and to the team’s requirements. .If the coast is not accessible by boat, due to sea conditions, the locations of overniight stay may be changed. The definite choice of an itinerary will be taken on site considering the safety criteria as appropriate.
Services & Notes
Accomodation: hotel, B&B, ovile (shepherd’s hut), tents
Local transfers: minivan, boat
Services included: airport transfers from/to Cagliari, accomodation in hotel or B&B on first and last day; transfers to the start point of the trek and from the end point; all meals; assistance of local guides; camping gear for the nights during the trek; rental of harness and helmet.
Optional services: flights; insurance; excursions at sea by dinghy or kayak; variations or extentions to the programme.
Special notes: Due to the growing demand, available places fill up quickly. We suggest to book well in advance.
Please not that a 30 € access fee has to be paid on site to the Municipality of Baunei. This is due to cover maintenance works of the trail.
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for detailed definitions and extra information on the above.
FITNESS 2 TECHNICAL 3 ADVENTURE 2
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for the explanation of the above scoring
Tour period and dates
The period (month of the year) given for the tour is indicatively the most recommended for optimun conditions for the planned activities. Different periods are possible.
If the tour is included in the Scheduled Tours list (yearly planner), the departure date is the one given in the planner; otherwise it will be decided according to the requests we have received. In any case we suggest to contact us for more precise information. In customized tours, departure date and duration are established according to customer’s request.
By means of the scores given in the tour decsription sheet we wish to provide an indicative assessment of the challenges to be expected, divided in the following three categories:
- Grade 1: adult performing a minimum sport activity (4-8 hours/week), or teenager in medium fitness conditions
- Grade 2: adult performing sport activity (8-16 hours/week) or teenager in good fitness conditions
- Grade 3: adult performing regular sport activity (16-20 hours/week) or teenager in very good fitness conditions
- Grade 4: adult only, regularly performing sport activity and intense training (more than 20 hours/week)
- Grade1: no prior experience in the activity is required, just a natural predisposition
- Grade 2: prior experience in the activity as beginner to medium level
- Grade 3: prior experience in the activity at medium to high level, with regular practice since min. 3-5 years
- Grade 4: excellent technical skills with long experience in the activity (more than 5 years)
- Grade 1: no prior experience in adventure travel id required, just a positive attitude to adapt
- Grade 2: prior, yet limited, experience in adventure travel, with a strong attitude to adapt and determination
- Grade 3: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding
- Grade 4: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding, strong determination to overcome unforeseen events
The type of accomodation as planned is indicated in the tour sheet (hotel, lodge, tents, etc..).
The means of local transfers are indicated as planned (flight, bus, 4WD vehicle, ferry, etc.). Some changes are possible in relation to the actual availability on site and/or wheather conditions and road access.
Service included and Prices
We do not have a price list. Quotes are sent on request only. Details of services included, excluded, or optionally available, will be specified in the quote and confirmed at the time of booking. Prices depend on the number of participants and on any specific requirements by the group; they will be definitely set at the time of booking and after definiton of all tour details and confirmation of dates.
Special prices may be granted for pre-established groups, clubs and associations, guides with own clients, active athletes, tour operators and travel agents, journalists, physicians, rescue operators, schools, staff of organization running an humanitarian or research project.