Ski Touring Haute Route of the Vanoise, FranceDecember 16, 2020
Mountain Bike in the Primiero valley, DolomitesJanuary 27, 2021
Month of the year: April to June
Duration: 7 days
Departure: see Scheduled Tours or contact us
Tour code: LT20007
Destination area: Berner Oberland, Central Switzerland
Activities: Ski touring/ Ski mountaineering
photo credits: gallery images / Alletschorn descent by Guides StGervais
The Berner Oberland is a vast mountain area in Central Switzerland, featuring the largest glaciers and the highest concentration of 4000 m peaks in Europe. Easy to imagine, this is a ski mountaineering paradise. However, due to the altitude and the ever changing wheather conditions, a tour in this area has to be carefully planned and remains reserved to medium or highly skilled ski mountaineers.
The choice of itineraries is endless; here we propose a 5 days raid hut-to-hut, on the eastern part of the Oberland, in the Finsteraar glacial basin, much less visited than the classic Konkordia cirque.
On the first day, most altitude is gained thanks to the spectacular rack railway, partially in a tunnel, which brings you to the 3500 m of Jungfraujoch.
The programme includes the ascent to three 4000 m peaks, but a less strenuous alternative is foreseen in each day of the tour, in compliance with the skill level and fitness of the team.
OPTIONAL and VARIANTS
- as alternatives to the above programme: 5-days raid on the western area of Oberland (Konkordia cirque) ; 4-days on the secluded southern area of Oberaletch; 4-days on the north-eastern area of Lauteraar (highly technical / special project).
- extension of 1-2 days for the ascent/descent of Jungfrau 4158 m with exit to Blatten.
- only for guided groups: one extra day for training on bivouac technique in tent and crevasse rescue.
- only for highly skilled skiers: ascent of Aletschorn 4193 m and steep descent of the north face.
–> contact us for any other project you may be interested in !
Arrival in Interlaken, by car or train depending on the location of residence. For those arriving by plane, the nearest airport is Zurich (approximately 2 hrs by train). Continuation by train to Grindelwald. Accomodation in hotel, dinner and check of equipment and gear.
By the amazing rack railway we reach the Jungraujoch 3463 m in the early morning. Ascent of Monch 4110 m and overnight stay at the Monchjoch hut 3623 m.
Ski down the Ewigschneefald glacier, then skin up to Fieschersattel pass 3923 m. Optional ascent of either Grosse Fiescherhorn 4049 m or Hindere Fiescherhorn 4024 m, or both. Great and easy descent to Finsteraarhornhutte 3050 m.
Skin up to Hugisatel col 4087 m and optional climb (rocky ridge, with rope) to Finsteraarhorn 4274 m, the highest summit of the Berner Oberland. From the col a nice ski descent back to the hut.
Ascent of Grosses Wannenhorn 3906 m, with brilliant skiing along the eastern slopes down to to the Fiescher glacier. Short skinning up to Oberaarjoch hut 3208 m.
Ascent of the Vorderes Galmihorn 3506 m, then traverse on the southern aspect and long ski descent to the village of Reckingen 1400 m. The last section may be on foot, depending on the snow coverage. Overnight stay in hotel.
Return by road or train to the own place of residence. For those arrived by plane, is approximately 3,5 hours by train to Zurich Airport.
The programme may change in relation to: the actual availability of places on the huts, the conditions of the mountain, the team’s requirements. The definite choice of an itinerary will be taken on site considering the safety criteria as appropriate.
Services & Notes
Accomodation: hotel and mountain hut while on the raid
Local transfers: train
Services included: all accomodation in hotel and mountain huts; all breakfasts and dinners; planning of the itineraries and maps; transfers from/to airport by train; local transfers.
Optional services: flights; insurance; assistance of a Lynx Trails tour leader or mountain guide; variations or extentions to the programme.
Special notes: this tour has to be booked well in advance, due to limited places available in the huts.
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for detailed definitions and extra information on the above.
FITNESS 3 TECHNICAL 3 ADVENTURE 2
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for the explanation of the above scoring
Tour period and dates
The period (month of the year) given for the tour is indicatively the most recommended for optimun conditions for the planned activities. Different periods are possible.
If the tour is included in the Scheduled Tours list (yearly planner), the departure date is the one given in the planner; otherwise it will be decided according to the requests we have received. In any case we suggest to contact us for more precise information. In customized tours, departure date and duration are established according to customer’s request.
By means of the scores given in the tour decsription sheet we wish to provide an indicative assessment of the challenges to be expected, divided in the following three categories:
- Grade 1: adult performing a minimum sport activity (4-8 hours/week), or teenager in medium fitness conditions
- Grade 2: adult performing sport activity (8-16 hours/week) or teenager in good fitness conditions
- Grade 3: adult performing regular sport activity (16-20 hours/week) or teenager in very good fitness conditions
- Grade 4: adult only, regularly performing sport activity and intense training (more than 20 hours/week)
- Grade1: no prior experience in the activity is required, just a natural predisposition
- Grade 2: prior experience in the activity as beginner to medium level
- Grade 3: prior experience in the activity at medium to high level, with regular practice since min. 3-5 years
- Grade 4: excellent technical skills with long experience in the activity (more than 5 years)
- Grade 1: no prior experience in adventure travel id required, just a positive attitude to adapt
- Grade 2: prior, yet limited, experience in adventure travel, with a strong attitude to adapt and determination
- Grade 3: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding
- Grade 4: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding, strong determination to overcome unforeseen events
The type of accomodation as planned is indicated in the tour sheet (hotel, lodge, tents, etc..).
The means of local transfers are indicated as planned (flight, bus, 4WD vehicle, ferry, etc.). Some changes are possible in relation to the actual availability on site and/or wheather conditions and road access.
Service included and Prices
We do not have a price list. Quotes are sent on request only. Details of services included, excluded, or optionally available, will be specified in the quote and confirmed at the time of booking. Prices depend on the number of participants and on any specific requirements by the group; they will be definitely set at the time of booking and after definiton of all tour details and confirmation of dates.
Special prices may be granted for pre-established groups, clubs and associations, guides with own clients, active athletes, tour operators and travel agents, journalists, physicians, rescue operators, schools, staff of organization running an humanitarian or research project.