Ski Touring in six valleys, western Aosta regionDecember 7, 2020
Ski touring on Etna Volcano (summit and traverse), SicilyDecember 12, 2020
Mont of the year: January to April
Duration: 8 days
Departure: see Scheduled Tours or contact us
Tour code: LT20002
Destination area: Dolomites Italy
Activities: Ski touring/ Ski mountaineering, Freeride
Cover photo credit: ©King of Dolomites
Gallery photo credits: ©King of Dolomites, ©F.Tremolada, Avalco Travel, Cyprianerhof
The wide area of Dolomites (UNESCO heritage site) in an absolute must go for all mountaineers. When covered by snow, these majestic mountains are even more impressive and attractive. Forests, open slopes, sharp edges, couloir between rock towers: the skier has such a variety of terrain to make an adventure here a memorable one.
We propose here a programme including six days of ski-mountaineering with the idea of visiting each day a different valley. This flexibility also helps to use both fantasy and experience as to select less known itineraries and get the highest chance to search for and ultimately find the best snow conditions.
Vertical gain and technical difficulty will be adjusted according to the skill and experience of the team; maximum elevations reached will be 2600 -3300 m. Marmolada is the only glacier in the Dolomites and a visit there is foreseen in the programme.
Some routes may require a partial utilization of ski lifts.
The ideal period for this tour is the end of winter or beginnng of spring (february and march)
Accomodation will be in hotel or apartment in a location well centered with regards to the itineraries, as to mimimize the daily transfers.
- Mix of ski-touring and freeride (using lifts) days.
- Steep Skiing: for a team of technical skiers we can propose various itineraries with steep lines and couloirs.
- One or more nights in a mountain hut.
- Extensions of one or more days.
OTHERS SKI TOURING PROGRAMMES IN THE DOLOMITES
- One week of ski-touring dedicated to one valley specifically, such as Fassa valley, Badia valley, Gardena valley, Brenta Dolomites, Cortina, Alleghe-Zoldo, Sexten Dolomites, Sella group.
- More challenging tour with higher technical grade and more vertical gain/loss (march and april).
- Multi-days raid hut-to-hut (haute route).
Arrival in the Fassa valley, via plane or car depending on the location of residence. For those arriving by plane, the nearest airports are Venice 166 km and Verona 178 km.
A ski-touring itinerary each day, departing from the chosen location (short local transfer by car or minivan). The objective is to visit each day a different valley, always having in mind the opportunity to find the best snow conditions in safety.
Depending upon the average skills and fitness of the team, vertical gain can be in the range of 1000-1300 m. Possible itineraries are:
– tour of Colbricon 2602 m and/or freeride from Rosetta lift 2650 m in the Primiero valley;
– Mount Mulaz 2906 m traverse (crossing from Primiero to Falcade);
– several peaks or cols around 3000 m in the Fuciade basin (San Pellegrino pass);
– Sella group: various traverses, possible ascent of Piz Boè 3152 m, and descent of various steep lines;
– Marmolada glacier: ascent of PIccolo Vernel 3098 m and brilliant ski descent along the northern slopes;
– Vajolet – Antermoia – Duron, a great traverse of cols in the Fassa valley, or Sassolungo traverse in the Sella group.
When we end up our descent in a different valley, a return trip by minivan will be organized.
Return trip to own place of residence.
Each programme will be adjusted according to the conditions of the mountain and to the team’s requirements. The definite choice of an itinerary will be taken on site also considering all safety criteria.
Services & Notes
Accomodation: hotel or apartment
Local transfers: car or minivan
Services included: all accomodation in hotel or apartment (7 nights – the apartment includes kitchen, living, sleeping rooms, bathroom); planning of the itineraries and maps; rental of car or minivan.
Optional services: flights; insurance; assistance of a Lynx Trails tour leader or mountain guide; steep skiing tours; variations or extenstions to the programme.
Special notes: Steep skiing option is reserved to pre-established groups or also to individual participants in guided tours.
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for detailed definitions and extra information on the above.
FITNESS 2 TECHNICAL 2 ADVENTURE 2 (programme EASY)
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for the explanation of the above scoring
Tour period and dates
The period (month of the year) given for the tour is indicatively the most recommended for optimun conditions for the planned activities. Different periods are possible.
If the tour is included in the Scheduled Tours list (yearly planner), the departure date is the one given in the planner; otherwise it will be decided according to the requests we have received. In any case we suggest to contact us for more precise information. In customized tours, departure date and duration are established according to customer’s request.
By means of the scores given in the tour decsription sheet we wish to provide an indicative assessment of the challenges to be expected, divided in the following three categories:
- Grade 1: adult performing a minimum sport activity (4-8 hours/week), or teenager in medium fitness conditions
- Grade 2: adult performing sport activity (8-16 hours/week) or teenager in good fitness conditions
- Grade 3: adult performing regular sport activity (16-20 hours/week) or teenager in very good fitness conditions
- Grade 4: adult only, regularly performing sport activity and intense training (more than 20 hours/week)
- Grade1: no prior experience in the activity is required, just a natural predisposition
- Grade 2: prior experience in the activity as beginner to medium level
- Grade 3: prior experience in the activity at medium to high level, with regular practice since min. 3-5 years
- Grade 4: excellent technical skills with long experience in the activity (more than 5 years)
- Grade 1: no prior experience in adventure travel id required, just a positive attitude to adapt
- Grade 2: prior, yet limited, experience in adventure travel, with a strong attitude to adapt and determination
- Grade 3: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding
- Grade 4: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding, strong determination to overcome unforeseen events
The type of accomodation as planned is indicated in the tour sheet (hotel, lodge, tents, etc..).
The means of local transfers are indicated as planned (flight, bus, 4WD vehicle, ferry, etc.). Some changes are possible in relation to the actual availability on site and/or wheather conditions and road access.
Service included and Prices
We do not have a price list. Quotes are sent on request only. Details of services included, excluded, or optionally available, will be specified in the quote and confirmed at the time of booking. Prices depend on the number of participants and on any specific requirements by the group; they will be definitely set at the time of booking and after definiton of all tour details and confirmation of dates.
Special prices may be granted for pre-established groups, clubs and associations, guides with own clients, active athletes, tour operators and travel agents, journalists, physicians, rescue operators, schools, staff of organization running an humanitarian or research project.