Southern Haute Route Mont Blanc – Mont RoseDecember 14, 2020
Ski Touring Haute Route of the Vanoise, FranceDecember 16, 2020
Month of the year: March- April
Duration: 8 days
Departure: see Scheduled Tours or contact us
Tour code: LT20010
Destination area: South Tyrol (Alto Adige), Italy
Activities: Ski touring/ Ski mountaineering
photo credits / cover photo: Zillertal
gallery: Gannerhof, DAV, F.Tremolada, Club Avalco.
The Aurina (Ahrntal) is a long valley north of the town of Brunico, on the southern border with Austria. Here the Alpi Aurine (Zillertaler Alpen) offer an infinite choice of great objectives for the ski-mountaineering enthusiasts. Vertical gain are quite significant (1400 – 2000 m and beyond), so that they can be carried out in the same day by a strong party of skiers; otheriwse a nice alternative is to overnight in a hut.
What we propose is just a small selection of itineraries; many other can be taken in consideration, according to the level of skill and fitness of the team. The basic programme described here foresees to set up the accomodation at an hotel or guesthouse near Campo Tures, as to optimize the daily transfers to the start point of each itinerary.
Most valleys in the area have few or no ski lifts at all, which makes this journey a bit more wild and adventureous.
- one or more days of steep skiing, mostly dedicated to the search of the steeper slopes and couloirs, for highly skilled skiers only;
- one or more days of high-tech ski-mountaineering, featuring the highest vertical gains and technical climbs, for expert ski-mountaineers.
OTHERS SIMILAR SKI TOURING PROGRAMMES IN THE REGION
- Valle di Riva (Raintal)
- Val Casies (Gsiesertal)
- valleys east of Brenner pass
- around Sesto Pusteria (Sexten)—> contact us for any other project you may be interested in !-
Arrival in Campo Tures, via plane or car depending on the location of residence. For those arriving by plane, the nearest airports are Innsbruck 121 km, Munich 317 km, Venice 230 km, Verona 237 km.
Accomodation in hotel, dinner and check of equipment and gear.
Six net days of ski mountaineering in the area, each day generally with return to the accomodation in Campo Tures. Transfers by road take half-an-hour on average.
Maximum elevations are in the range of 3000 -3400 m.
Among the many possible targets: Punta Bianca (Hoher Weisszint) 3370 m, Monte Corno (Hornspitze) 3109 m, Monte Fumo (Rauchkofel) 3251 m.
More demanding itineraries, in 1 or 2 days (with overnight stay in a hut): Monte Lovello (Grosse Loffler) 3376 m, Pizzo Rosso (Rotspitze) 3495 m, Sassonero (Schwartzenstein) 3369 m, Pizzo dei 3 Signori (Dreiherrnspitze) 3500 m.
of Tete de Valpelline 3798 m, and long descent on the swiss side till Furi 1860 m. Here we take the lifts as to reach the Testa Grigia hut 3480 m.
lacier crossing around the Nose of Lyskamm, then ski down to the Mantova hut 3500 m.
Transfer back to the airport for the return flights.
For advanced ski-mountaineers: variation or extension of one day to val di Vizze for the Gran Pilastro (Hochfeiler) 3510 m, a challenging climb with a great ski descent.
The programme may change in relation to the conditions of the mountain and to the team’s requirements. The definite choice of an itinerary will be taken on site considering the safety criteria as appropriate.
Services & Notes
Accomodation: hotel or guesthouse, mountain hut for 2-days itinerary
Local transfers: car or minivan
Services included: all accomodation in hotels and mountain huts; all breakfasts and dinners; planning of the itineraries and maps; local transfers by car or minivan.
Optional services: flights; insurance; assistance of a Lynx Trails tour leader or mountain guide; variations or extentions to the programme.
Special notes: this is a bi-lingual region (italian and german are spoken), therefore a mountain or other place may be indicated in either or both languages.
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for detailed definitions and extra information on the above.
FITNESS 3 TECHNICAL 2 ADVENTURE 2
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for the explanation of the above scoring
Tour period and dates
The period (month of the year) given for the tour is indicatively the most recommended for optimun conditions for the planned activities. Different periods are possible.
If the tour is included in the Scheduled Tours list (yearly planner), the departure date is the one given in the planner; otherwise it will be decided according to the requests we have received. In any case we suggest to contact us for more precise information. In customized tours, departure date and duration are established according to customer’s request.
By means of the scores given in the tour decsription sheet we wish to provide an indicative assessment of the challenges to be expected, divided in the following three categories:
- Grade 1: adult performing a minimum sport activity (4-8 hours/week), or teenager in medium fitness conditions
- Grade 2: adult performing sport activity (8-16 hours/week) or teenager in good fitness conditions
- Grade 3: adult performing regular sport activity (16-20 hours/week) or teenager in very good fitness conditions
- Grade 4: adult only, regularly performing sport activity and intense training (more than 20 hours/week)
- Grade1: no prior experience in the activity is required, just a natural predisposition
- Grade 2: prior experience in the activity as beginner to medium level
- Grade 3: prior experience in the activity at medium to high level, with regular practice since min. 3-5 years
- Grade 4: excellent technical skills with long experience in the activity (more than 5 years)
- Grade 1: no prior experience in adventure travel id required, just a positive attitude to adapt
- Grade 2: prior, yet limited, experience in adventure travel, with a strong attitude to adapt and determination
- Grade 3: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding
- Grade 4: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding, strong determination to overcome unforeseen events
The type of accomodation as planned is indicated in the tour sheet (hotel, lodge, tents, etc..).
The means of local transfers are indicated as planned (flight, bus, 4WD vehicle, ferry, etc.). Some changes are possible in relation to the actual availability on site and/or wheather conditions and road access.
Service included and Prices
We do not have a price list. Quotes are sent on request only. Details of services included, excluded, or optionally available, will be specified in the quote and confirmed at the time of booking. Prices depend on the number of participants and on any specific requirements by the group; they will be definitely set at the time of booking and after definiton of all tour details and confirmation of dates.
Special prices may be granted for pre-established groups, clubs and associations, guides with own clients, active athletes, tour operators and travel agents, journalists, physicians, rescue operators, schools, staff of organization running an humanitarian or research project.