Ski Touring in the Adamello – Cevedale group, ItalyJune 21, 2021
Ski Touring in the Orco Valley, southern Gran ParadisoJune 29, 2021
Month of the year: January – April
Duration: 8 days
Departure: see Scheduled Tours or contact us
Tour code: LT21013
Destination area: South Western Alps, Italy & France
Activities: Ski touring/ Ski mountaineering
Gallery: guide alpine Limone (5), Chalet delle Guide (10)
The southern Cottian Alps, west of the town of Cuneo (Piedmont) are known for their abundant snow falls and great ski mountaineering itineraries.
Terrain varies from steep forest to open slopes and couloirs; peaks exceed 3000 m elevation with the summits often reached after a short climbing on rock and ice. There are no glaciers.
The Maira valley is nowadays a classic destination, to the point that in spring is no longer easy to find unbeaten tracks there. In our programme we include some less known itineraries in valle Maira itself, plus other beautiful tours in the far less visited nearby valleys of Varaita, Grana, and Stura.
We suggest to undertake this trip in january or february for the best powder conditions at altitudes between 1000 and 2500 m, or later in march and april for the longest tours to the highest summits. All destinations are in italian territory, except a few ones located in France, beyond the border at the upper Stura valley.
All tours are feasible in a single day and accomodation would be in hotel or guesthouse near Borgo San Dalmazzo, which is quite a central location well suitable to reach any of the four valleys by a short car drive.
These valleys have very few ski lifts or none, villages are small and quiet, restaurants are simple but offer great genuine food and wine. This area is a ski mountaineering paradise, providing you a taste of peace and wilderness which is rare to find elsewhere in the Alps.
- (winter only): one or more days of freeride in the nearby ski resort of Limone Piemonte;
- one or more days of steep skiing, mostly dedicated to the search of the steeper slopes and couloirs, for highly skilled skiers only;
- (spring only): short 5-days programme with accomodation in a remote mountain hut and one-day tours in the same valley (no car transfers needed);
- (spring only): 2 or 3 days extension for the ascent of Monviso 3841 m, the highest elevation of the Cottian Alps (only for advaanced ski-mountaineers).
OTHERS SKI TOURING PROGRAMMES IN THE REGION OR NEARBY
- 5-days Haute Route (hut-to hut traverse of the 4 valleys, in march-april
- one week in the Ubaye and Queyras regions, France
- one week n the Maritime Alps and 5-days Haute Route.
-> CONTACT US FOR A FULLY CUSTOMIZED TOUR OR ANY SPECIAL PROJECT
Arrival at Borgo San Dalmazzo (Cuneo), accomodation in hotel or guesthouse in the area. Nearest airports are Genova (150 km) and Torino (140 km),
DAYS 2 – 7
Single day tours each day, with approach by car or minivan and return to the hotel or guesthouse. We will suggest the itinieraries most suitable to the technical level and ambitions of the group, taking into account the mountain condituons and the safety criteria.
We propose to visit all 4 valleys in order to take advantages of the variety of the terrain and landscape.
Among the hundreds of itinerarires, we shall suggest for example Rocca La Marchisa 3071 m in the Varaita valley and the Ischiator 2996 m in the Stura valley.
From the Srura valley is also possible (in spring time) to drive to France, via Maddalena pass, and aim at Oronaye 3100 m or Aiguille de Chambeyron 3409 m.
For the most advanced skiers various steep lines may be considered, such as the north face of Rocca Bianca 3012 m or the very challenging northwest face of Rocca la Meja 2831 m, both in the Maira valley.
Several tours offer the possiiblity of traverses, with different ascent and descent lines (loop).
Transfer to the airport or other location for your return trip.
Contact us well in advance for a fully customized programme.
Services & Notes
Accomodation: hotel or guesthouse
Local transfers: car or minivan
Services included: all accomodation in hotel or guesthouse, all breakfasts and dinners; planning of the itineraries and maps; local transfers by car or minivan.
Optional services: flights; insurance; airport transfers; assistance of a Lynx Trails tour leader and/or IFMGA mountain guide; variations or extentions to the programme.
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for detailed definitions and extra information on the above.
FITNESS 2 TECHNICAL 2 ADVENTURE 2
See “KEY DEFINITIONS” for the explanation of the above scoring
Tour period and dates
The period (month of the year) given for the tour is indicatively the most recommended for optimun conditions for the planned activities. Different periods are possible.
If the tour is included in the Scheduled Tours list (yearly planner), the departure date is the one given in the planner; otherwise it will be decided according to the requests we have received. In any case we suggest to contact us for more precise information. In customized tours, departure date and duration are established according to customer’s request.
By means of the scores given in the tour decsription sheet we wish to provide an indicative assessment of the challenges to be expected, divided in the following three categories:
- Grade 1: adult performing a minimum sport activity (4-8 hours/week), or teenager in medium fitness conditions
- Grade 2: adult performing sport activity (8-16 hours/week) or teenager in good fitness conditions
- Grade 3: adult performing regular sport activity (16-20 hours/week) or teenager in very good fitness conditions
- Grade 4: adult only, regularly performing sport activity and intense training (more than 20 hours/week)
- Grade1: no prior experience in the activity is required, just a natural predisposition
- Grade 2: prior experience in the activity as beginner to medium level
- Grade 3: prior experience in the activity at medium to high level, with regular practice since min. 3-5 years
- Grade 4: excellent technical skills with long experience in the activity (more than 5 years)
- Grade 1: no prior experience in adventure travel id required, just a positive attitude to adapt
- Grade 2: prior, yet limited, experience in adventure travel, with a strong attitude to adapt and determination
- Grade 3: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding
- Grade 4: prior experience in adventure travel including remote area and wilderness, or extreme wheather, or uncertainty in route finding, strong determination to overcome unforeseen events
The type of accomodation as planned is indicated in the tour sheet (hotel, lodge, tents, etc..).
The means of local transfers are indicated as planned (flight, bus, 4WD vehicle, ferry, etc.). Some changes are possible in relation to the actual availability on site and/or wheather conditions and road access.
Service included and Prices
We do not have a price list. Quotes are sent on request only. Details of services included, excluded, or optionally available, will be specified in the quote and confirmed at the time of booking. Prices depend on the number of participants and on any specific requirements by the group; they will be definitely set at the time of booking and after definiton of all tour details and confirmation of dates.
Special prices may be granted for pre-established groups, clubs and associations, guides with own clients, active athletes, tour operators and travel agents, journalists, physicians, rescue operators, schools, staff of organization running an humanitarian or research project.